For those arriving from Rittana, the village of Paraloup can be reached by car along the road that crosses the hamlet of Gorré and reaches Chiot Rosa, a green plateau with an equipped area where it is possible to leave the car. From here you can continue on foot to Paraloup.
Paraloup is located at an altitude of about 1400 metres on the ridge that divides the Stura Valley from the Grana Valley; according to local tradition, the name of this village means 'defended from the wolves'. In this place, between 1943 and 1944, the first partisan band of Giustizia e Libertà (Justice and Freedom) gathered, led - among others - by Duccio Galimberti, Dante Livio Bianco and Nuto Revelli. The band consisted of 150 people of different social backgrounds and ages who gathered to free Italy from fascism and drive out the German army.
For some years now, thanks to the Nuto Revelli Foundation, Paraloup has come back to life and to be a place of memory that telephonels of the partisan war and peasant life. The recovery of Paraloup has been led by a group of young architects, attentive to the themes of landscape, history and sustainability. For this reason it has received several awards, including a special mention at the prestigious Konstruktiv award for the best sustainable alpine architecture in Europe and its inclusion in the Italian Pavilion at the Venice Architecture Biennial in 2012.
Tel: 349 1268858 (Paola)